What To Do If You Are In A Bicycle Accident
The last thing you want to occur is a crash between a car and a bicycle. However, they do happen. As a matter of fact, that is our specialty. This is what you should do:
- If you’re down, lie still until you or a qualified person can ensure that you are not seriously hurt. Take a second to see if youÂ’re bleeding or that your bones or joints are not broken or dislocated. Do not panic. Relax, collect yourself, and think.
Move your bicycle out of harm’s way. Try to make a mental note of where you and your bicycle ended up after the accident
Do not refuse medical care. Allow medical assistance on the scene to help you
- Ask to see the driversÂ’ licenses and vehicle registrations of all automobiles and drivers that were in the accident. Of course, write down the names, addresses, and drivers license numbers of all drivers. Obtain names of their insurance companies and obtain their license plate numbers.
- Look for witnesses if any. Ask for their names, addresses, and phone numbers.
- If the police come to the accident scene, please cooperate with them. Tell them what you saw. Tell them what you know. Describe what happened. Remember, unfortunately, police have a bias against bicyclists.
- If the other driver is leaving the accident, try to get his vehicle license number.
- Even if you feel well enough to ride away, always check for any damage to the fore_, handlebars, headset bearings, that allow you to turn handlebars. Remember, better quality bikes have aluminum alloy handlebars, which can snap suddenly if theyÂ’ve been bent. They are dangerous if damaged.
- Check the entire bike carefully, including the wheels, front end, brakes, spin each wheel, the pedals, etc.
- After you leave the scene of the accident, seek proper medical care. Always document the damage to yourself and your bicycle.
- Keep receipts for everything from the accidents, including medical bills, damage to your bicycle (repair costs), prescription and non-prescription drugs, bandages, transportationcosts, etc. If you missed time from work, you are allowed loss of pay.
- Contact your local police and fill out an accident report.
- Get your bike fixed at the local reputable bicycle store.
- Invoice the expenses so that you can recover the expenses for the repair of the bicycle. Keep all expenses and keep all estimates and receipts for charges you pay. Save receipts and personal gear you had to buy or replace or was damaged due to the accident.
- Contact the bicycle lawyers at Nadrich & Cohen, who will help you immediately. We do not charge unless we obtain a recovery from the at-fault insurance companies. We can handle everything for you, as we are experts and have handled to successful conclusions thousands of bicycle cases. We immediately will contact insurance companies of all motorists and inform them of who you are and your involvement in the accident. We will initiate a claim on your behalf and begin dealing with the claims adjuster of the insurance company for you.
- Do not give a tape recorded or written statement until we make sure that it will not be used against you and that the statement will be used in the most favorable light possible to you.
- If you are in an accident with a motorist, by all means consult a bicycle attorney such as Nadrich & Cohen before proceeding with an insurance claim. We will advise you and guide you through the process and make certain that all your rights are protected against the insurance company or with the police who may decide against you.
Do I Have a Case?
READ Our Reviews
We promise that a member of our team will respond to your free consultation request within 24 hours of submission